Saturday, March 19, 2011
Pastoring a Flock: From the Heart of a Servant, Brother Tony Workman
What does it take to pastor a flock? It takes a man who is in love with Jesus and who loves people. The pastor must have compassion for His people. He must be willing to put people's needs ahead of his own. When someone is hurting, the pastor is there to put his arm around that person, and let them know how much he cares. Sometimes all people want is for the pastor to let them know how much they care. The pastor should be a reflection of God's love. The pastor should be willing to go to hospitals and pray over his people. I don't care how big the church is, the pastor must be there for the sick. A pastor must be forgiving. A pastor must forgive people and be long-suffering with people. That does not mean that a pastor is a push-over. Of course, there are times when discipline is necessary, but that discipline should always be done with a heart of love and with the person's best interests in mind. A pastor must finally Preach the Word! He must preach with boldness and he must preach as if he does not have another day to live. I think pastors should have fellowship with their people. Go out to eat with your flock (Watch what you eat), go to their homes. Show them that you love them. Be a shepherd to your people. It does not matter if the church is 20 or 20,000. Be a Shepherd. I desire to pastor a flock. I have the gift of evangelism but I also have the gift of pastoring. Some pastors do not pastor. If a church is looking for a pastor, then they must observe how the man interacts around people. Does he involve himself in other people's lives? Is he a man of compassion or is he a man who gets irritated often? If your church has men who do not possess these qualities, then maybe what you have is a great preacher, but not a great pastor. If you have a great preacher and a great pastor then you have it made. I want people to know that I love them. I want people to know that I am here if you need me. I long to fellowship with you. I long to listen to your problems and pray with you. I long to love you and lend my shoulder if you need to cry. I want you to know that I hurt when you hurt. It pains me when my friends and my church goes through problems. If I could take your hurts I would. I long to preach the Word! I long to teach people the ways of righteousness and see the lost saved! I love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment