Philippians 3:2-9
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. 3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. 4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5. Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6. Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9. And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith
Philippians 3:2-9 tells us of the Apostle Paul, and the Apostle Paul tells us that if anyone had reason to boast in their accomplishments or their resume, it was him. After all, as verse five indicates, he says that he was an Hebrew of the Hebrews. He was born out of great stock. He states in verse six, that as far as the law was concerned he followed the law. In fact, Paul learned under the great teacher Gamaliel. Paul was extremely educated. Paul had a PHD. He was a scholar of the law. He had a resume that would put all of us to shame. Before he was born again, he relied upon his resume. He says in verse four that he once had great confidence in his flesh and his resume. He basically says that if anyone should boast in the flesh, it should be him. He goes on to say in verse five that he was a Pharisee. Pharisees were known in Paul's day for being wealthy and for being the most educated concerning the law. But, the Pharisees did not know Jesus Christ. All of their qualifications meant nothing, because they did not know Jesus Christ. Paul could have very easily went on to be the leader of the Sanhedrin, which was the ruling body of Paul's day.... See More
Paul had an encounter with God on the road to Damascus and it drastically changed his life. Paul says in verse seven, that all of his accomplishments (his resume) he would count all things but loss. In other words nothing mattered except knowing Christ. He realized that Christ was his resume. He counted his resume as dung (verse 9). Paul could have used his resume as a means to promote his self, but he did not. He allowed Christ to take care of his needs and to worry about what church or people He spoke to. Because he relied on God, instead of self. Paul became the greatest apostle that ever lived, and he wrote the majority of the New Testament. All of those things would not have happened had he relied upon his resume, instead of God.
Just because a man graduates from seminary does not mean that he has arrived spiritually. There are many men who have great resume's who are not preaching the truth. They have been leading people astray by preaching things that are tickling people's ears. I have graduated from seminary, but I do not boast in my resume nor do I boast in myself. I boast in my Savior, and him alone. I am his ambassador in chains. He will be my provider and he will provide the churches for me to preach. My hope is built in nothing less then Jesus' blood and righteousness! Apart from Christ, I am nothing!
No comments:
Post a Comment